Spices have been around for centuries and yet the Western diet is still adjusting to Tabasco, Chipotle and Curry. There is indisputable scientific evidence that almost all spices contain chemicals that have profound health benefits, thus protecting the body from numerous grave illnesses and in many cases acting as an efficient treatment for established diseases.
- Cayenne Pepper helps you lose weight by boosting metabolism
- Saffron helps you get in a better mood (treats depression)
- Cinnamon and dried fenugreek are both known to help regulate blood sugar
- Turmeric helps prevent Alzheimer’s, Inflammation and Cancer
- Garlic helps reduce blood pressure
But it’s not just for their medicinal values that spices are appreciated. Spices can turn the most un-appetizing food into a satisfying gastronomic experience. They often make excellent preservatives and also add esthetic value to the food.
So all you salt and pepper addicts out there wake up and smell the coffee!! There is more out there than just the quintessential salt and pepper shaker. Get to the spice market and purchase a spice rack or hit the closest Trader Joe’s get a colorful mix of 21 different culinary delights and make your life HOT and SPICY again!!!